The magic of Poros...
pass of Poros is magical surrounded by pine trees,
olive trees and lemon trees.
The beauty of this place has impressed and has been praised
by prominent literary people
such as the nobelist Giorgos Seferis, Kosmas
Kostis Palamas, Ioulia Dragoumi and the American writer
of the houses of Poros
are samples of the neoclassical architecture. One can
the Deimezi building made of grey and red
stone and Grivas' shop, with its wide doors and the very
beautiful interior decoration. Villa Galini, among the
most beautiful houses of Poros, has hosted great personalities
of the Arts and Literature.
Korizi square there is the Archeological
Museam of Poros which is open to public
daily except Sundays,
from 9.00 am to 15.00 pm.
Findings from the excavations
of the Temple of Poseidon, Ancient Trizina, Magoula,
and Saint Constantine from Methana are displayed here.
One can also see the magnificent wall paintings
at the Saint George Cathedral
and visit the Public Library.
the Eastern side it is worth visiting the Zoodochou
Pigi Monastery (18th century), built on
a green slope with a view to the sea. With its picturesque
it combines peace and simplicity.
At the entrance of the Monastery there is a famous spring
with healing properties which lies on the side of
a torrent, below some huge plane trees. It was founded
by the Metropolitan Bishop (Iakovos II)
both at his expense and
other various contributions.
monastery is surrounded
by tall and strong walls, without
any openings. There is only the central gate and the loopholes.
At the rectangular precinct,
there is the temple, the catholic
and the family tomb of Tombazis,
Apostolis and the Admiral
from Hydra Miaoulis.
In general, the construction
is a sample of island monastery architecture.
The temple is simple without
many wall paintings.
The precious wooden - curved icon, which was made in Kappadokia
of Asia Minor in the 17th C,
together with the wooden
- curved iconostasis and the imposing
bishop throne, are of great interest.
The temple is a Basilica type
with a dome and a tower
- like bell - tower.
Walking towards northeastern
we reach the Temple of Posidon.
Few remains are felt today from the Doric Temple (6th
of blue limestone with 34 columns. This place was a
for fugitives and castaways.
5 kilometers towards the North
there are the ruins of the
in 1834 warehouses
and bakeries were built for the supply of the Russian
sailing in the Aegean.
The Russians kept this property
until the 1900s. since 1989,
with a Ministerial decision,
the Russian Dockyard has been announced as a historical
monument due to its great architectural
and historical interest.
Trizina is known as the homeland of Thiseas
and it is one of the most interesting places
in Poros. All the archeological finds from ancient Trizina
in the archeological Museum. Continuing your way, a
distance of about 3 kilometer from Trizina there is
a place called "Vasiliki Tafi"
(The Royal cemetery).
This area has great interest because of the archaeological
the Mycenaean period.
Walking towards northwestern
we reach "Diavologefiro"
which is an abrupt area in Poros
but famous for its wild beauty.
The visitors will have the
opportunity to enjoy the
beautiful natural environment.
The area is full of blooming
flowers and trees.
Here the river flows furiously through a deep canyon.
visiting area is the "Lemon Forest".
Lemon trees grow wild in Mediterranean climates
can be easily recognized
by their tangy smell of fresh.
It is ideal for romantic nice long walks as the sound
of the running water is wonderfully soothing.
specifically at the eastern of the port there is a
small island called Bourtzi with
a small castle built in 1827
in order to protect the port.
The visitors will have the opportunity to see the castle's
thick, tall walls that still exist.
The official site of the island
Buses - Timetable